There is an old adage; when you say it, read it, and hear it you will learn it. It’s true, and I have the college test scores to prove it. The human brain retains information at a much higher rate when all senses are being stimulated. Introducing video. Video is the latest communications tool to be used by marketers to help communicate, persuade, and inform. Why video? Here is why…
- Viewers retain 95% of a message when they watch it in a video compared to 10% when reading it in text.
- 51% of marketing professionals worldwide name video as the type of content with the best ROI.
- Marketers who use video grow revenue 49% faster than non-video users.
- Sixty-four percent of consumers make a purchase after watching branded social videos (via tubularinsights).
- 59% of executives agree that if both text and video are available on the same topic, they are more likely to choose video.
- Social video generates 1200% more shares than text and images combined.
- Views on branded video content have increased 258% on Facebook and 99% on YouTube as of June 2017 (via tubularinsights).
- GIFs in Facebook ads outperform other static Facebook ads.
If marketers are using video to reach and inform consumers, HR should be using it to reach employees. Open enrollment and onboarding/orientation can be transformed from long winded day-long events to short precise communications that employees can access 24/7.
Ways to improve your HR communications with video
- Orientation – The use of video provides consistent talking points, available 24/7 when our new hire is ready to engage.
- Open Enrollment – Video can explain how this years benefits are changing, why they are changing, and how the new plan will help. Bonus, your employees can review the video with their spouse at home.
- Benefits Portal – Bring your benefits portal to life with a video spokes person. He/she can introduce pages and explain how to find information
- Wellness – Incorporating a video of a chef preparing a meal is much more engaging than listing a recipes.
- Email – Insert a GIF into your next email, the animation will catch the employee’s attention
I hope we got you thinking about ways to improve your communications by using video. Already have an idea on how you will be using video as a part of your marketing strategy in 2018? We’d love to hear how in the comments below.